Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I can play like a pro!


Lab #5 at St. Mary's

This week at St. Mary's my group worked with the cafeteria group. At first we were outside playing in the playground and then we went into the gym. In the playground we were with the younger children. Let me tell you how creative these children are. Their imagination is very amazing and they have fun wherever they are. At first they were shy but after a little while they were talking up a storm. Many of the children wanted to play hide and seek and wanted me to be the seeker! I believe they like the idea of hiding and being found. Then we played a tag game and they sure do love chasing you! They chased me all around the playground and never got tired. After this I began playing princesses with two little girls. Their imagination with quite amazing, I could not believe the things they came up with. We went to a ball, had a tea party, and played princess tag. While having a tea party with these young girls they were very talkative and talked about anything and everything. They asked a million and one questions and were very funny. After the play ground my group went into the gym to play games with the older children. Older children do not want to play the games you planned they rather just play a sport the whole time. 

So my group decide we will just play basketball for the entire time. There were only a hand full of older children and there were only boys, so we decide to play the boys against the girl teachers. The students loved this idea. Getting involved in the games and being excited to play helps the students want to play and actually enjoy the game. My group and myself were very surprised that these boys were amazingly good at playing basketball. They all know the basics and more and it was a great game. This week I had the privilege to work with the older students and understand what they like to do in the physical education setting. Throughout my past labs I have learned a lot about the game choice you decide for each age group. When working with older children you want to focus on a game where there is some type of competition. This causes the students to want to do their best and play the game they’re hardest. 

When working with the younger children you want to play a game that has a story behind it. This keeps the younger children interested in your game and it makes them want to continue the story. When working with a mixed age group you want your game to be easy and have a lot of physical activity. Tag games are the best to play with mixed aged groups because everyone likes a good game of tag. Next week is my last lab at St. Mary's it is sad to say this but I know that this experience has been amazing and will help me to be a better educator. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment